Sunday, February 6, 2011

I'm an Unlucky SOB

I am a Packer fan - always have been, always will be. It started when I was about 8 years old when my family moved from Milwaukee to a town about 35 miles north of Green Bay [Oconto Falls/Lena]. Once I got hooked, I got hooked bad. Every Sunday was a like a holiday - I didn't do anything without planning my day around the game. Many of them were watched with my friend Robert and his older brother Jim. We'd go ice fishing and Jim would hook a small TV to his car battery and route it into the shanty so we could watch the game.

Over the years I've missed nary a game. I have, for sure, but if I had to count how many in 35 years, I'd guess I missed about 10. Technology and the invention of the DVR has been great, because now on beautiful autumn Sundays I record the game while my wife and I do something else [usually golf]. I'll come home and see my neighbor and quick yell "Don't tell me! Don't tell me!" as I rush into the house to watch the recorded game.

Now comes the Super Bowl.

A few weeks ago, a customer set up a meeting at their Portland, Oregon based facility. I thought, "Great! This will be a nice place to visit and my wife can come along with me." A nice little winter getaway in the Pacific Northwest. I booked the flight about the time the NFL playoffs were starting. At the time, I didn't realize that the Super Bowl completely by overlapped by return flights home, let alone that the Packers would be in it! As the Green and Gold continued to advance through the playoffs I recognized that there was an increasing likelihood that they would make it to the Super Bowl and, alas, they did!

I called Frontier Airlines and looked at alternative return flights, but no other return options would suffice without bullocksing up our entire weekend or costing a fortune so we decided there's more important things than watching the Super Bowl. And that's true! Except, as we finally board our flight tonight (the one from Denver to Milwaukee), that will be of little solace. We are going to miss the entire second half as we cruise home at 37,000 feet.

All these years of watching unimportant Packer games and they finally make it to the big one and I am going to miss it!

I am an unlucky SOB.

[JK - everything above is true, but I really am not unlucky. I did have a great time with my wife in Portland. Good food, good drink, and surprising entertainment made for a very enjoyable weekend. See yesterday's post for proof. Nonetheless, missing the game stinks. Go Pack Go!!]
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6

No comments:

Post a Comment