Monday, May 28, 2012

"Grateful" Memorial Day

Of course we are happy today. For most of us, we've got a day off of work and it's made even better by the fact that the day off is a Monday -- typically the most difficult day of the week. But on Memorial Day, I've never been comfortable when people say "Happy Memorial Day!" A Memorial Day greeting should express gratitude and be a touch more somber. It should pay respect to our veterans who both served our country and, especially, to those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

Every year for me, Memorial Day is the one holiday that packs the most meaning into a day off. Many years we'll go to a service at Wood National Cemetery. This year we missed it, but within moments of posting this update, we will visit the cemetery and pay my respects to my father -- who is buried there -- and other veterans.

If you are resident of Southeastern Wisconsin and have never visited Wood National, I can't implore you enough to visit. Not only is it historical and grand, it will give you perspective on just how significant the sacrifice made by our veterans was and is.

I can't visit without getting a lump in my throat.

Maybe "Grateful Memorial Day!" would be more appropriate.

P.S. -- When you visit Wood, find my Dad's memorial stone and thank him from bringing me into your life. (Or blame him. Your choice!)


No comments:

Post a Comment